Background

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Vintage

The other day my Dad delivered a big box containing some of my very favorite things in the world: Grandma's old photo albums! As far back as I can remember, I have always been fascinated by them. I loved looking through them and getting Grandma to share her old stories and memories with me, and now I'm very much wishing I had written them all down. When Chris came along, he used to tease me about how much I loved digging these albums out and looking for certain pictures to show him! I'm not about to risk taking out the pictures and scanning them for fear of ruining them somehow, but here are some of my favorites via iPhone, in semi-random order:

AHHH!! One of my all-time favorite pictures. This is Granddad and Grandma back in their dating days. Grandma always said she was pretty sure this picture was taken at Anderton's, which is a very special place to us! It was always one of their favorite date-night spots, and in 2004 it was where my (deleted) scene was filmed for Walk the Line! (At least we made it to the DVD! :) (By the way, she let me wear her jewelry for the scene, and the costume people LOVED it and let me get away with it! She truly loved the fact that I was in that scene and that it was filmed at Anderton's, and she kept that DVD near her TV. So precious!) Also, Anderton's closed for good before Chris and I were married (SAD!), but we enjoyed going on dates there too back in our early days.
Grandma's high school graduation photo. I absolutely love this picture, because this was the same gorgeous smile she always had. I mean I saw this same smile on her face last month! I'm sure any of you who knew my Grandma will instantly recognize this signature smile on her much-younger face!
Grandma's senior picture. We won't really get into how vastly inferior to this my senior picture was, but I'll just say it was nowhere near this sophisticated and graceful.

Here's one of the windows she decorated, probably for Bry's. The most impressive thing of all is that this mannequin isn't wearing actual clothes -- she's wearing pieces of fabric Grandma strategically draped and pinned around her to look like a finished outfit. That's because department stores back then used to sell fabric, since so many people made their own clothes! 

Grandma in one of the dresses from Hollywood that would come to her store in time for the Cotton Carnival.

Granddad in his Navy days. I used to play dress-up in his old Navy hats!

Grandma (AKA Glam-ma) in another swanky Cotton Carnival dress. I'm loving the cotton bales in the background too! :)

This is Grandma's mom, my Grandma Pearl. I was blessed to have her around until I was 10 and she was 97.

In case you've ever wondered where I get my scrawny frame from... :) Of course, my Grandma was super tall, but it's the same idea -- especially when I was that age!

My beautiful Grandma in high school

I thought I'd throw in a few of Mom while I was at it! Here she is in elementary school! :)

Mom's senior picture... very 70s!

Granddad as a little boy. I can't get over how much the picture on the right looks like Evie!

Granddad in high school
I want that dress. I think she said she made it! (I know you can see my phone reflected in most of these, but alas.)
I hope you've enjoyed a little glimpse of some of my favorite pictures on earth! In other news, my dear friend Becky has been in town this week, so I hope to update soon with the few pictures I thought to get while she was here... and to continue the story of the Vaf and me too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment