Background

Monday, December 31, 2012

Babies' Second Christmas!

I feel kind of like the odd mom out, because it seems like it's normal for most new-ish moms (and Wham! too, of course) to be sentimental about last Christmas. I'm not at all sentimental about last Christmas. While it was clearly the best up to that point, since I was a mom for the first time, it was also the HARDEST of my life. Though already 11 weeks old, my babies were finally considered full-term on Christmas Eve, since that had been their due date. Nights were long and endless, and days kind of turned into nights because we were never getting much sleep at all. Plus, we were still in full-out quarantine mode, where any sickness on T or E's part would have landed us right back in the hospital -- which we had been so thrilled to get out of. Thankfully, that never happened -- but only because of the grace of God, our constant vigilance, and the Synagis shots that the home-health nurses would come out to our house and administer to them once a month. 

Christmas was especially bittersweet last year, because my Mom had been staying with us for the greater part of December, giving us a much-needed extra set of hands during those early days at home with the girls -- but on Christmas Day, it was time for her and my Dad, who had been in town for a couple of days at that point, to return home. The cost of being so far from home was sinking in for really the first time, and it just didn't seem worth it anymore, considering how close I was to graduation and that I could finish my classes online, plus the fact that Chris wasn't even planning on pursuing his seminary education after all. When they left, I was terrified of handling everything on my own, with just Chris, who, of course, would be at work all day. I'm thanking God as I write this for getting us through. 
Mom and Evangelyn last year in Louisville
I had to include that extra pic of Evie, because she's not looking at the camera in this one -- but Tamsie's trying to smile here! :)
This Christmas was infinitely better! The girls were old enough to enjoy (and even talk about) the tree and dance to the music. We loved having family in town and at our house -- which is now back home in Memphis! We have also been able to get out of the house, of course, and attend church and just truly soak in the season. I really can't articulate how delightful it has been, and I can't thank God enough for getting us to this point! :) Here are a few pictures, to give you a glimpse of this fabulous second Christmas of theirs!
Hanging out with Aunt Jennifer on Christmas Eve

Present time!

The newlyweds and Evangelyn

Christmas Eve with my in-law fam!

Cute boots from Jennifer for her mama

So sweet! 
Tamsie and Evie got crazy good at opening presents by the time it was all over. Tamsie loved tearing off bits of paper, which she would then tear into tinier bits and give to me. How thoughtful. :)

What a face!

Coming in 2013: Pearl and Rose Designs! I will be making this sort of thing (custom, of course!) and selling it on Etsy. I'll also be addressing envelopes, and I'm hoping to start painting some canvases and frames to sell! More on this as it comes closer to reality!

This is the look Tamsie started giving the camera. She's not too fond of the flash. She is, however, crazy about this toy train, and whenever a train goes by and it's near, she grabs it and starts saying, "Choo Choo!"

Daddy helps Evie with her presents.

"What is this contraption, Dad? You say it's a PHONE?!"

Chairs from my parents

There was a lot of clapping going on.

Cheesy Tams face!

Christmas morning

Taking in all the new presents from Santa! 
Crawling over the puzzle to get to the dog!

E: "This sure beats last Christmas, Tams, when all we got were mobiles!"

Paparazzi 

Tearing into presents at Great-Grandma's house 
Presents from Uncle Myron and Aunt Lauren: a Little People castle for Evangelyn and a book that lights up and plays music for Tamsie!

This is how Evie preferred to ride to her Great-Grandma's house Christmas morning: one flap of her hat pulled up over her face. I tried to fix it for her, but it made her cry. 

Uncle Myron asked to play what he refers to as "The Talking Game:" Apples to Apples. When Uncle Myron makes such a request, you go along with it. :)

Mom was serious competitor.

My cousin Chris and Grandma getting into the game

Meanwhile, Chris was on baby duty in the abridged version of the gate, which we brought from home to make our lives easier.

The day after Christmas, this is what we woke up to. 

This Christmas was definitely the best yet. We are so thankful to be where we are this year, and we are especially thankful, as always, to God for the gift of His Son! Hope your Christmas has also been very merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment