Background

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Overcoming

I've been working on a normal post, but it's just been kind of hard. Like everyone else, I have such a heavy heart right now in light of the events of Friday. And I keep thinking how thankful I am that Tamsie and Evie are too young to know about what's going on, and that I don't have to figure out how to talk about this with them. However, I fear we haven't seen the last of this kind of thing, so I know I'm probably not off the hook here. I will say that I've definitely been hugging my girls a little more tightly over the past few days and rocking them a little longer than normal when they're on their way to sleep. Children are truly such blessings.

The darkness of this world is palpable right now, and I think Dr. Moore had some of the best words to say about it all. I'd really encourage you to check out his article and give it some thought. I'll be back soon with a regular post... I have plenty of pictures saved up for it! But first I just feel like I need to share a few verses that have been on my heart.

The irony that something so horrible has happened at what should be such a wonderful time of year has made me think about the darkness that Christ was born into on that first Christmas, and the fact that He came to extinguish that very darkness. Here are the verses I've been reminded of:

* John 8:12: "When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'"

* John 1:1-14: "In the beginning was the Word,(A) and the Word was with God,(B) and the Word was God.(C)He was with God in the beginning.(D) Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.(E) In him was life,(F) and that life was the light(G) of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness,(H) and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.(I)
There was a man sent from God whose name was John.(J) He came as a witness to testify(K) concerning that light, so that through him all might believe.(L) He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
The true light(M) that gives light to everyone(N) was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him,(O) the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.(P) 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed(Q) in his name,(R) he gave the right to become children of God(S) 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.(T)
14 The Word became flesh(U) and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory,(V) the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace(W) and truth.(X)

Is that not what Christmas is all about? The Word that became flesh and entered into this world with all of its horrors and atrocities to save those who would believe in Him?

(As I'm working on this, local TV is breaking into the Today Show to talk about how yet another child has been shot and is in critical condition -- this time here in Memphis. It blows my mind that Christ left the glories of Heaven to come down to earth even for a minute, all because of His love for us and His desire to show us that His light ALWAYS overcomes the darkness around us -- no matter how dark it is!)

Long before He appeared on the scene, the prophet Isaiah even hinted at this: 
"The people walking in darkness(C)
    have seen a great light;(D)
on those living in the land of deep darkness(E)
    a light has dawned" (Isaiah 9:2).

We are so blessed to know now what Isaiah was talking about then! It's my hope and prayer that you embrace the light this Christmas, and that you not be overcome by all the evil. I just keep clinging to these words from Romans 12:21: "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

No comments:

Post a Comment